We are a Canadian organization dedicated to preserve, perpetuate, study, and encourage the cultivation of heirloom and endangered food crop varieties.
During the last hundred years, 75% of our food crop varieties became extinct. Today, only 10% of the remaining varieties are available from seed companies.
Diversity of plants and animals is very important. It makes living things adaptable. It allows wild and domesticated species to withstand threats like diseases, climate changes, pests, and other unpredictable conditions. With enough variation in a group, there will always be come individuals that can survive under any changing situation. Food crop biodiversity is our single most crucial tool to adapt our food systems to changes.
Visit our site to:
- find ecologically grown seeds through our Canadian Seed Catalogue Index
- get involved with our Seedy Saturdays events across Canada
- subscribe to our free monthly e-bulletin
- become a member (free!)
- join Canada's largest member-to-member seed exchange
- learn why food biodiversity matters - https://seeds.ca/diversity/biodiversity-is-important/
- learn how to make your garden more pollinator friendly - https://seeds.ca/pollination/pollinator-gardens/
And much more!